Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Dear Arianna, March 1, 2013

Dear Arianna,
    Here is the second of my catch-up letters to you to get me up to the current day, March 6.  March 1 was my real birthday and for reasons that I don't understand, me turning 37 is the first birthday where I am starting to feel old.  I don't know if it is the onset of some kind of midlife crisis.  I might need to buy a station wagon soon and go on a cross-country trip. It could also be that work has been very stressful and school has wiped me out.  I just need to get through the final on March 7th, and then I have a break in class until June, by which time the warmer, sunnier weather should help.  But as usual, I digress.
    It is safe to say that you were more excited about my birthday today than I was.  When we woke up, the first question you asked is if it was finally my birthday and then you said, "Happy Birthday, Daddy, I love you!" and gave me a big hug.  At least with my birthday falling on a Friday, I got to work from home and because I worked on the weekend (again), I got to end my shift at 2:00 PM.  For me, the highlight of my birthday was when I went to pick you up at school in the afternoon.  All of your friends were lined up at the doors and when Ms. Power opened them they said in unison, "Happy Birthday, Arianna's Daddy!"  It was a very nice surprise and the best gift of the day.
    We had dinner that night with your Grandma and Grandpa, and your Uncle Dave, Aunt Tiffany, and cousin Glenn at Baker's Square.  You were not happy that they were out of fruit, but did eat your entire grilled cheese sandwich.  Your Grandma and I both had chicken pot pies, and she went to town eating the crusts of both her pie and mine.  We then ordered some pies to take home.
    Once we were at home, Mommy unpacked the apple, strawberry-rhubarb, and a caramel french silk pie and you all sang happy birthday to me.  You ate two slices of apple pie while I had one slice of strawberry-rhubarb.  You were then so excited to open my presents for me.  I got some lovely books and the James Bond movie, "Skyfall" to add to my fifty years of Bond box set.  It was a very nice day, but my favorite favorite gift of all was the way you got all of your friends to wish me a happy birthday.

Love,
Daddy

0 comments: