Saturday, March 09, 2013

Dear Arianna, March 2, 2013

N.B.  Mommy wrote this letter about the nice Birthday present she gave Daddy.

Dear Arianna,
    Yesterday was Daddy's birthday, and as you know after work we got together with our family at Baker's Square.  Today, was supposed to be his birthday party, but had to cancel and move it to tomorrow because he was supposed to work.  They told him at the last minute, that he did not need to work, but it was to late to move it back to Saturday.  I wished they have not done that, but what can we do? So, anyway I decided to give your daddy the gift of art and food.  I had two plans (and he could choose one)

A.  Art Institute and Bennigan's
B. Contemporary Art Museum and Chinatown

    I was really not sure what way he was going to lean, but he picked A! (Would you have guessed that?)
   
    Our day did not start it as I hoped, and we were running so late that I almost gave up in the whole thing. I was not sure if you wanted to go, but since there was a kid's party later in the day and you were invited, I figured it was better to go to Titi's so you wouldn't miss it.  You were excited about your party. Apparently, the people throwing the party go all the way.  They have jumping things, a guy drawing caricatures of all the kids, a balloon maker, lots of candies, cake, etc... I almost wanted to go too, specially after I found out that it was a Princess Theme!"  You took your red dress because (and you told me later) it was your abue's favorite dress, and she was taking you to the party with all your cousins.  Uncle Tony had lent her the van so everyone could fit.
    By the time we dropped you at Titi's, it was about 1 pm.  The museum closed at 5 pm. :(  But, after your Daddy chose which option, he said we could still make it.  I drove to downtown (which I hate) but I wanted to give your daddy a really special day.  So, I marched on (or drive on)... Traffic was not bad, and we parked at the Millennium Park, it was too cold  to walk outside, but daddy parked us just in front of the entrance to the Art Institute! And here comes mistake #2, I did not purchase the tickets to the museum in advance (because I did not know which one he was going to choose) and we lost about ~20 minutes in line. So, mental note, tell daddy about it the night before so you can buy them online! By this time, we were so hungry that we had to go straight to the Museum's cafeteria.  I ordered a "Picasso inspired dish".  It was pasta in a very bright yellow sauce with shrimp and clams with couscous and broccoli.  Not bad.  Daddy got the same, but it was chicken instead of the pasta.
    After that, we got to "work" on looking at wonderful paintings like this:

    I want this in our house! I loved the middle panel because it has the pink bird in the right side.  Can you see it?
    Daddy loved this painting about the "Mexican War" and wanted me to take a picture with it.  But I said "Go ahead, you are Mexican by proxy".

    But, I did take a picture with this angel.  How peaceful.
    I loved this painting because it reminded me Gatlinburg, TN. or maybe I should say it reminded me the Grand Smokies!  And what I loved the most is the bird right in the center (above the mini-fall).  Do you like it?
    I have always love Tiffany's lamps.  You think the kittens will behave around it? Nope, I don't think so either.  Maybe when they are older.
    This picture reminded me of you because it is about trying to grab music and give it a visual context, and you love music.  So, when I was looking at it.  I thought you may have liked it too.  Perhaps if it had some more purple?
    Famous painting. I have seen it on TV, on newspapers, on magazines, on print, but now I saw it.  (This was my first time at the Art Institute, and I am sure we are going to take you sooner than my first time was).
    Daddy found a new painter he liked, Camille Pizzarro.  What do you think?
   And lastly, daddy took pictures of all the Grandfather's clocks.  Well, I think he took pictures of all the clocks.  I am surprised that we don't have 100's of clocks in our house. He really likes them. There is so much to see... You'll see soon.
    But after wondering through quite a bit of the Museum, we were getting hungry since the Cafeteria gives you small portions. At this time, it was closed to 5 pm.  So, we headed to the store to see if we liked anything.  I ended up buying a postcard, a bookmark, and a little booklet for you.
    So now, it was 5 pm and we walked outside to Bennigan's that is across the Art Institute. We ordered a plate full of appetizers (I think it was my favorite), and a sandwich for me, and some fried chicken for daddy.      
    I also loved the dessert.  It was made with apples.


    And I shot of the Art Institute from Bennigan's.  It was getting really dark so we headed out to get our car so we can picked you up.

    We were not sure if you wanted to stay at Titi's for the night since daddy's party is tomorrow. But, you wanted to go home so I went for you.  You told me that you enjoyed the party, specially the balloon men.  He made you a hat.  But they did not have chocolate cake so you did not eat it :(  You were not very thrilled about that.  Now, we are home and need to clean a little more for tomorrow's festivities.  So, I love you silly girl, and it is time for bed!

Love,
Mommy



0 comments: