Friday, February 01, 2013

Dear Arianna, February 1, 2013

Dear Arianna,
    It is Friday, and it is the first letter of February.  If there are two good things about Friday, first is that I it is the last day of the work week, and it is now also the day that I get to work from home.  It is nice since I can pick you up and I usually end my work day at about 4:00 PM on Fridays because I run out of hours in my contracted job, so we get to spend some nice time together in the afternoons.  Today there was a special event at your school.  It was pizza and bingo night.  Since I knew it would be busy this evening, I wanted us to take a nap.  Unfortunately, you decided to act like a stinker and make it your mission to wake me up at the moment I kept dozing off on the couch which left my eyes bloodshot and me very very tired.
    You Titi Alma, Abue, and your cousins Raven, Scarlett, Phoenix, Logan, and Santana all came to join us at your school tonight.  We had ordered three pizzas for our group, two pepperoni and one cheese, and as you can expect with our posse, they were close to inhaled.  They were from our favorite pizza place, Barraco's so we knew we were going to enjoy them.  I am fighting a bit of heartburn now, though.  I ate too much, and I ate too much pepperoni, which always makes my tummy hurt.  Oh, well.  That is why there is Tums, and it certainly was good going down.
    Then it was time for bingo.  We had nine rounds plus a final fill-the-card round.  You played the first round on your own, and being a five-year-old, quickly lost interest in that.  Luckily, the table cloths were disposable and I told you that you could draw pictures on them.  So, I took over your cards.  The happy news was that your Titi Alma won the very first round, and all of you kids got to eat the chocolate she won, while she kept her new towel.  That was about it for the winning in our group, though.  The rest of us came close, but there were n cigars for us.
    As I continued loosing round after round, I started tracking each letter / number combination as it was called.  The G's were coming out far more than the other letters and there were repeats of the same sets of G balls.  As Commander Data would say, the bingo balls were not sufficiently randomized.  While you were drawing on the table cloth, I was writing the ball tally on it.  You can see both in the picture to the right.
 
    You weren't happy about not winning, and your lack of napping today left you as moody as me, but we still had a good time.  You were even more happy that your girl cousins asked to sleep over tonight and all three of you are right now sitting on the couch watching all the hours and hours of Disney movies and TV shows that my server can stream out to the TV.
    It was very nice having a bit of extended family time tonight, and tomorrow in Mexican culture is Dia de la Calendaria, which is the day that your Uncle Tony is supposed to cook for us because he pulled the baby Jesus out of the Three Kings cake on January 6th.  It should be fun.

Love,
Daddy


0 comments: