Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Dear Arianna, February 6, 2013

Dear Arianna,
    Wednesdays are nice days.  It gets us half way through the work week, and I do not have school.  Even though I had to study for tomorrow night's test, this chapter was no where near as harrowing and besides, you were next to me playing on the Kindle Fire as I read, so it made it much more pleasant.  As we were propped up on pillows reading and playing in the bed tonight, I was thinking about a poem from Robert Lewis Stevenson that often runs through my head when I see you using your imagination.  The poem is called:

"The Land of Counterpane"


When I was sick and lay a-bed,
I had two pillows at my head,
And all my toys beside me lay,
To keep me happy all the day.

And sometimes for an hour or so
I watched my leaden soldiers go,
With different uniforms and drills,
Among the bed-clothes, through the hills;

And sometimes sent my ships in fleets
All up and down among the sheets;
Or brought my trees and houses out,
And planted cities all about.

I was the giant great and still
That sits upon the pillow-hill,
And sees before him, dale and plain,
The pleasant land of counterpane.

    I loved reading Stevenson's A Child's Garden of Verses when I was a boy.  I think it would be nice to read the poems to you now as you have gotten older.  Who knows, there is probably an app for children's poetry now, along with everything else, but this I would like to share with you with my own voice reading from ink on paper.
    Bedtime is catching up to all of us, and we have to get your folder and backpack ready for tomorrow.  Then, we have to plan for your sleepover on Friday night with your cousins.  It should make for some exciting adventures to write about.

Love,
Daddy

0 comments: