Friday, February 22, 2013

Dear Arianna, February 22, 2013

Dear Arianna,
    Today was kind of a weird day.  I don't think any of us, you, Mommy, or me, were feeling quite ourselves today.  Mommy thinks it is the weather, and I think that is a big part of it.  The snow did come through last night, and though it was not the snowpacolypse that some were predicting, it still did dump five inches down here on the South Side which was enough for me to have to shovel in the morning.  This threw us out of our morning routine, so while I went to shovel the car out, you had to get yourself ready for school on your own. When I dropped you off at school and took you to your class, you very very weepy and clingy this morning. It was so bad than Ms. Power and Mrs. Hughes had to hold you from running after me in the hallway as I left for work.  I waved at you through the window but I saw all of the tears, and this made me sad.  I know that you were over tired and you hate our morning routine being upset.  Add some cold and snow that no one really wants to see as we get closer to March, and it was just an odd morning.
    I only had to work a half-day today, since I worked on Saturday and they weren't going to pay me overtime, so I worked from home.  It was a busy and weird morning work-wise, too.  My boss is sick and over-stressed about a big project that is going on and the team has a lot of back-biting and infighting going on right now, too, so I do what I've done since I started this gig just over a year ago -- I put my head down and do my work and stay out of the politics of workplace politics.
    I picked you up at 2:45 and though you were happy to see me, it wasn't the super-hug yelling of normal.  You just seemed tired.  I asked if you wanted to play in the snow, but you didn't, so when we got home, you stared playing some games while I went and shoveled out he back deck and drive.  Your Abuela came at about 3:15 to do laundry and wait to pick up Raven.  You were sad when she left and you were hoping that she would bring Raven back to our house, but that wasn't in the cards today.  We did watch some "Little House on the Prairie" together, and your Abuela told me how much she loved Michael Landon and how she watched both "Bonanza" and "Little House" when she was still in Mexico.  Your Mommy is more of a "Highway to Heaven" kind of girl, proving that there is a Michael Landon TV show for everyone.
    Mommy did make it home by 5:00 PM today which was nice.  Just as I was settling in to some tacos that Mommy brought home for dinner, I got a call from my boss telling me that I would need to work from 3:30 til midnight tomorrow back out at the Lisle datacenter, so it is looking like it will be two weeks in a row of six day work weeks, and probably another one coming up on my birthday weekend next week.
    I guess we are all really tired and have reached the point where we are ready for Winter to end.  This time of year has never been my favorite, and as your Grandpa has always joked, Summer is better because you never have to shovel heat.  Heck, I know you are tired, because you actually fell asleep before 9:00 PM, which for you is a miracle   You were getting very grumpy tonight, just like Daddy when I am over-tired, so it was bound to happen.  Even your cats were so worn out that Betsy, who hates all other cats, is sleeping next to Ian and Turlough with you on the couch.
Kitty Détente
    At least I can sleep in tomorrow with you and Mommy and don't have to leave to work until 2:45 PM, so we can spend some time together.  Maybe we can buy that bed you want on Sunday.  I love you.

Love,
Daddy

0 comments: