Friday, January 25, 2013

Dear Arianna, January 24, 2013

Dear Arianna,
    Well, Thursday night was another school night and another night where I had a test.  This class I am in this semester will have a test every Tuesday and Thursday, so it is kind of a brutal re-entrance into higher education for me.  As I have already written, this was probably one of the toughest, most tiring weeks I've had on my job for the year I've been on it.  That combo has not been a good one on my mind, so I really do apologize for being so snippy and short this week.  The combination of work stress, school stress, and overnight page-outs giving me no night of interrupted sleep has really got me on edge.  I was much better at bouncing back from this kind of schedule when I was in my twenties than I am now.  Oh well, we do what we need to to provide for our families.
    Two nice things came out of class tonight -- even though I was paged out and had to work on a server issue during my test, I still scored an 89% on it and, even better, class let out early enough that you were actually awake when I got home from school.  As I wrote about on Wednesday, nothing recharges me more than being with you and Mommy and nothing is harder on me than coming home to you and Mommy asleep and me, my computer, and a Lean Cuisine microwave dinner alone in the dining room.   I have no exciting painting story to tell for this day, but it was nice all the same.  You drew some beautiful artwork and we got to talk and play before bedtime, and that is excitement enough for me.
    Talking to Mommy, it also sounds like you had a laid-back evening before I got home.  You really love playing Yahtzee now, which you did with Mommy, and then you took a shower and played with your kittens and talked a lot with Mommy, too.  Here are some nice pictures of you lounging with your kittens again.  You, Ian, and Turlough certainly have a strong bond:


    Speaking of Ian, he really likes to play on the iPad, Kindle Fire, and Nook Tablet, even if there is nothing on the screen.  Mommy took this great video of him playing on just as I was coming in from the car.  Feel free to ignore the talking -- it's just about how to get through school without having a nervous breakdown:

    It may not have been a "special" day today, but I really believe in the wisdom of Fred Rogers: Each day with you is a special day.  I love you.

Love,
Daddy

0 comments: