Saturday, January 26, 2013

Dear Arianna, January 25, 2013

Dear Arianna,
    Today was report card pickup day at your school, so there was no class for you.  A good thing about going to school is that it moved my work from home day from Thursday to Friday so that we got to spend it together.  The bad news was that my hope for a quiet final day to a miserable work week wouldn't come to pass.  There were yet again more page-outs, emergency phone calls, and people panicking.  Not me, but others.  My specialty, if I have one at work, s to keep a calm head while all others around me are panicking. After they all calmed down I just repeated that I would go ahead and fix the problem that was discovered and went ahead and did it.  If you ever in your future end up at a job where they want to form "Tiger Teams", run far and run fast.  The minute you are in that kind of committee, it is people who are each afraid to make a decision and execute on it.  That's what I did today, and the problem was solved.  This will probably make no sense to you at five, but I'd like to think that sometime in the future when I am long gone and you pull the dusty book version of this journal off the shelf and read it, that you will smile a your crazy old Dad and his love / hate relationship with IT.
    Your Titi Alma called this afternoon at 4:00 PM right after my work day ended.  (We won't talk about how it was supposed to end at Noon but I got pulled into more meetings starting right at lunch time.)  Raven was dismissed early from school, but your Abuela had not left home yet to pick her up so she asked if I could go get her.  I hadn't eaten yet so I think I sounded drunk on the phone to Alma when I said yes, but we picked her up with no issue.  Because I was on a blood-sugar crash, I thought that tonight was Bingo Night at school and that your cousins were coming over, so I took Raven home with us.  Turns out tonight was report card pickup night, not bingo, but what the heck, you love it when your cousins come over.
    When we got home, you went outside to play with the snow on the deck, seeing as this is the first appreciable snow we've had all winter.  Raven and I watched you from the dining room table while she ate a ham sandwich and I ate a Swedish meatballs Lean Cuisine.  Suitably fed, my brain started to turn back on, and after you came in and I hung your soggy wet gloves by the fire, we all went to watch a little family entertainment.  And for us, that means "Mythbusters".
    Mommy also had to work late, but she made it home at 6:30, with our report card pickup time set for 6:40.  The nice thing about Raven being 12 1/2 and in Junior High, is that we were able to leave you two together for 20 minutes while we went over to the school.  The parents before us, Phoebe's Mom & Dad were running a little long, so it gave us time to take pictures of some of your creations hanging in the hallway.
    That is your picture of Martin Luther King, Jr. on the left, and one of your favorite things to do in school on the right. 
   
    Then it was our turn to talk to your teacher, Ms. Power.  You are doing very well and scored "M's" on all of your objectives.  That means "meets expectations .  The only exception was a "D" for "developing skill" for self-esteem and confidence, since you are shy around people sometimes like your Daddy and your Grandma.  Ms. Power wasn't worried, though, since you play with everyone in class.  You can count to 100, you know all of your letters in upper and lower case, the sounds they make, can write them legibly, and can read three and four letter words.  You also scored very well in artistic expression.  Ms. Power is impressed in the amount of detail you put in your self-portrait test:
You are holding a stuffed animal in your portrait
    No one else drew eyebrows, lashes, and accessories on their self-portrait.  Ms. Power says that you have an eye for details and love to draw and make stories.  This makes me very happy.  I like to think that I am good with words and expressing myself in print, but I always wished I had some kind of visual artistic ability. It really seems that you do.  You certainly can draw better already than I can.  Also with your love of violin, I hope that you will continue to develop and grow artistically as you get older.  Art is what nourishes the soul and trust me, you need that to cope with Corporate America.
    We came home from your school and you and Raven were fine.  You were watching Disney's "Hercules" and Raven had even done the dishes, which was a very nice thing for her to do.  You were also playing Yahtzee with her, and I think we'll be seeing a lot more of this game with you.  Between that and the "Game of Life" we are always playing on the iPad and Nook, you really seem to love board games.
    We decided that as a thank-you to Raven we would take her out to Portillo's for dinner.  Raven had ribs, while Mommy and I ate vegetable sandwiches.  You had a hot dog and a slice of cake, and right after the cake, you went over and fell asleep on my lap and stayed asleep while we drove Raven home.  I guess an afternoon full of fun with your cousin wore you out.  Mommy took you up to bed and that is where both of you girls are now.
    I didn't have time to take a picture of you today awake, and instead of the sleeping pictures I already took this week, I went for a picture of you and your friends posted up on the wall in your class.
This is you with your friends Skye and Alyssa
    You love your friends and going to school, and Mommy and I are so proud of how you are doing and what your are accomplishing and who you are growing up to be.  You are certainly our big girl.

Love,
Daddy


0 comments: