Sunday, January 27, 2013

Dear Arianna, January 27, 2013

Dear Arianna,
    Today was a very busy day.  It is Catholic Schools Appreciation Week, so your school had an Open House and Book Fair today.  During Mass today, some of your older classmates gave reasons why they likes St. Bernadette.  The reason you gave was that you liked playing with the sea shells in your preschool.  Today, you asked me why I didn't go up with Mommy when it came time to take "the cracker".  I told you that I wasn't Catholic, but you and Mommy are.  One day I think I'll be able to explain my own feeling about Christianity, just as soon as I figure them out, myself.  Right now, I can say that I am a Foundationist -- I believe that God revels himself to the peoples of the world in different ways.  I also appreciate the community that churches, synagogues, and mosques provide, and really do believe that if people lived more selflessly and helped each other more often, we would live on a much better planet.  But being a Foundationist, I am also opposed to religious literalists and fundamentalists who force their belief structures upon others through tyranny and violence.  As the singer Tim Booth said, "God only knows the nature of God.  The rest of us are just guessing."
    Enough of the metaphysics.  After church, we headed over to your school where you kids put on a musical performance.  You first thought that you were going to play your violin, so we brought it just in case, but it turns out the instruments that you heard about were the thunder sticks used by the seventh and eight graders.  You were part of the singers, and you sang, "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star."   You were able to overcome your shyness and sing with the group.  You were more shy when it came to singing the days of the week and the times of the day in Spanish, but you did not freeze up and run to sit down as some of the other kids did.  I think it was because you were so happy that you had your friend Jacob with you today.
      After the singing, your school had an open house, so we first headed over to your preschool room.  We were very proud that your teacher, Ms. Sue Power, won the Parish's "Spirit of the School" award.  She is a wonderful teacher and you have grown so much as a person in her class.  They had all kinds of activities set out to play with.  I smiled the most as you went ice fishing.  You decided that since the fish were so hard to get to, the best technique would be for you and your friend Alyssa to smash through the ice with the handle ends of your fishing rods.  You also had fun with the artificial snow with you friends Robyn and Jacob.  Robyn told us that MS. Power used her magic to make the snow.  Who knew that St. Bernadette's was the Hogwarts's of Evergreen Park?
    Then we went to explore the class you will be in next year -- Kindergarten.  You were very excited by all of the clocks and words and books and arithmetic that you will learn next year.  You also already know the teacher, Miss Murphy, because the Pre-K and the Kindergarten kids already have lunch and recess together  and you know the kids who were Pre-K Big Bears last year.  It is also nice that some of your closest friends in Pre-K like Jacob, Phoebe, Robyn, and Skye will be going with you to Kindergarten next year.  It is also scary for Mommy and Daddy to think that in just eight months from now, you will no longer be our little preschooler.
    Then, we went upstairs to the second floor and went to the book fair.  You and Jacob chose your books and while your Mommy and Jacob's Mommy waited in line to pay, I went with you to all of the classrooms on the second floor.  We explored  the first, second, third, and fourth grade rooms, and you were both excited to see what is coming in your future.  It made me think back to my own elementary school days, which weren't always the best because of bullying and teasing because of my glasses and bucked teeth.  I hope that you have a much better elementary school experience than I had.
 Here is a picture of you in O'Brien Hall (left) and with Jacob in the Fourth Graders classroom (right).
    Finally, when your Mommies were done paying for the books, we went up to the third floor where the junior high kids have class and they had their Invention Convention going on.  I think you managed to touch every display there was, and my own personal favorite invention was the self-finding eye glasses.  I could certainly use a pair of those.  Mommy and I agreed that when it comes time for you to come up with an invention, we'll send you down to Austin for a week with your Uncle Ron & Aunt Evelyn.  A whole lot of amazing things comes out of that workshop.
    We were the last family to leave the Open House, and then you asked if we could go to the Choo-Choo Restaurant (Snackville Junction) for lunch.  We did, and we had fun playing with trains and once again doing terribly on the Bubble Bobble coin-op machine they have there.  I need to get a good emulator joysttick so that we can play the game together at home.
 More fun at Snackville Junction
     After we got home, I went to take a nap (I was tired from the drive back and forth to Lisle on Saturday night) and Mommy and you cleaned up the house for our February 2nd Tamale Lunch Party as a follow-up to Three King's Day.  When I came down to study, your friend Ceci's Mommy, Nancy, called and invited us over for cake and tea.  I was going to go with but when I tired to step outside, it was just too icy for me and I didn't want to risk my knee.  So, while you and Mommy went to have cake, I read and took notes on some really boring IT homework.  Only your little Turlough kept me happy while reading the book.  The book was so dull, it put Turlough to sleep!
    You can only imagine how happy I was that you came home with a slice of cake for me!  I have already reached my calories for the day, so you put it in the refrigerator for me to enjoy tomorrow.  I love how thoughtful you are.
    Now you and Mommy are asleep, I've finished reading and studying for the night, and I guess that I can't fight off Monday much longer, myself.  We had another wonderful day together and I am so proud of the big girl that you are becoming.

Love,
Daddy



0 comments: